Liver cleansing soup
This liver cleansing soup is the perfect winter-warmer for the whole family. This recipe is rich in sulphur, glucosinolates, chlorophyll and antioxidants such as allium and lycopene to support the detoxification pathways of the liver and reduce inflammation in the body.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cm fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ tsp fresh or dried chilli (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 zucchinis, sliced
- 8 Brussels sprouts, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1.5 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 6-8 cups water (or enough to cover vegetables)
- 2 cups bok choy, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Add a protein source such as chicken, beef, lentils, quinoa or beans
- Place a large saucepan on the stove on medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic and leek and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add chilli, turmeric, ginger and cumin and sauté for another minute.
- Add in remaining ingredients (except bok choy and parsley) and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in bok choy and simmer for another 5 minutes to soften it.
- Serve up and top with parsley.