Split pea soup
With the nights getting a little chilly, this split pea soup is just what you need to warm you up.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Handful fresh basil, chopped
- In a large saucepan fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil on low heat, until onion is translucent.
- Add the sweet potato, carrots, split peas, celery, vegetable stock, water and turmeric to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, give it a stir and cover with lid. Allow to simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the herbs into the pot, stir through and allow to simmer for another 20 minutes or so until the split peas are nearly dissolved.
- Season with sea salt and pepper as desired.
- Optional: Blitz with a hand blender for a smooth consistency.