Mushroom tofu stroganoff
This mushroom tofu stroganoff is the perfect meal for your meat-free Mondays. It has similar flavours to the classic beef stroganoff but with a delightful twist. Mushrooms help to enhance the action of immune cells, contain protective antioxidants and a type of fibre called glucans which have cholesterol lowering benefits.
|Total calories:||600 kcal|
- 150g button mushrooms, sliced
- 150g flat mushrooms, sliced
- 250g tofu, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 brown onions, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp tamari sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice of half a lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place tofu between layers of paper towel and firmly press down to remove excess water.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the tofu on medium-high heat for a couple of minutes, or until browned. Set aside.
- Add butter, garlic and onion to the pan and cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes until onion is translucent. Add in the mushrooms and fry until softened.
- Add the stock, mustard, tamari sauce, thyme and tofu to the saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the sour cream and lemon juice, stirring for about 3 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Serve with steamed vegetables, mashed potato, brown rice or whole wheat pasta.