Mac and cheese – the healthier way
This is a healthier, veggie-packed alternative to the classic Mac and Cheese.
- 1½ cups whole-wheat or gluten free elbow pasta
- ½ butternut pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 2 zucchinis, roughly chopped
- ½ cauliflower head, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Place pumpkin, cauliflower and zucchinis in a saucepan, cover with water and place on the stove on high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Cook the elbow pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Blitz vegetables in a food processor with the vegetable stock until pureed.
- Place oil, onion and garlic in a saucepan on low heat, stirring until onion is translucent. Add in vegetable puree, almond milk and cheese and slowly stir on medium heat until cheese is melted through and sauce is thickened.
- Transfer pasta to the saucepan and stir through the cheese sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.