Healthy mini trifles
Trifles are a Christmas tradition in many Australian families. If you’re a lover of trifle but want to be a little more health conscious, these healthy mini trifles are gluten free and refined, sugar free.
|Serving size:||1 trifle|
- Protein Bread Co Low Carb Vanilla Cupcake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml almond milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- ¾ cup strawberries
- ¾ cup raspberries
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Nature Sweet Sugar Substitute
- 1 tsp gelatin or agar agar powder
- 2 cans coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
- Berries and additional fruit of choice
- Grease a small cake tin and follow the directions on the Vanilla Cupcake Mix packet to make the cake. You will only need about half of the cake for the trifle – store the rest in an air tight container to enjoy later.
- Allow cake to cool and cut into cubes. Divide between 6 small glasses or bowls.
- Blend the strawberries, raspberries and water together in a blender. Pour through a strainer to remove chunks/seeds.
- Place berry juice and Nature Sweet in a medium saucepan on high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and add in gelatin or agar agar powder, stirring regularly for a few minutes.
- Pour jelly mixture over the cake cubes in the glasses and transfer to the fridge for a few hours until set. If you would prefer to layer the jelly, you can pour into a bowl and refrigerate until set, and then use a fork to ‘scramble’ the jelly so it is easier for layering.
- Open the cans of coconut milk – there should be solid cream on the top. Scoop the solid coconut cream into a mixing bowl and store the coconut water for later use.
- Use an electric beater to beat the coconut cream until smooth and fluffy.
- Layer the coconut cream and berries in the glasses.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.