A deep quick cleanse to rejuvenate your body
Today we cannot escape environmental toxins as they are increasingly in the air, water, soil and by extension, in the food we eat. Of course we can always grow some of our own food if we are lucky enough to have a backyard and use natural compost and fertilizers and I highly recommend this.
One of the highly toxic things that is happening to our planet at the moment is coal gas seam mining and horizontal drilling which is literally flooding our underground water channels with thousands of toxic chemicals. This is a good reason to install a rain water tank. As the North American Indians said about the white man, “Only when the last fish is poisoned will man realize that he cannot eat money”.
Since the beginning of the industrial revolution there is an estimated 83,000 chemicals that have accumulated in our environment. These chemicals vary from heavy metals (arsenic, lead, mercury and cadmium etc), pesticides, volatile organic compounds (eg. solvents, petrol, benzene etc) and plastics.
If you heat food in a microwave oven in plastic containers or wrap or drink water from plastic bottles you are ingesting more plastic. Some of these chemicals are called endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) and they are a hot topic in environmental health research. They have been implicated in the rising incidence of cancer and unexplained infertility.
Researchers think that EDCs act to disrupt our endocrine (hormonal) system leading to disordered metabolism and obesity. Many of these EDCs are fat soluble and get stored in the fatty parts of our body such as fat tissue and hormone glands. If you have a fatty liver the toxic chemicals are stored in the liver and reduce your liver health.
Smoking cigarettes floods your body with hundreds of toxic and carcinogenic chemicals that increase the workload of your liver and immune system, so this is something we should all avoid. Consult your doctor for modern methods to quit smoking as they are very effective. Clinical hypnotherapy is a proven way to quit smoking. If you find it impossible to quit nicotine, the use of electronic cigarettes is much safer than smoking regular cigarettes.
Dr Sandra Cabot’s 15 Day Cleanse
The liver is the only organ that can breakdown (metabolise) fat soluble toxins and turn them into water soluble forms. Once they are water soluble they can be eliminated via the watery fluids of the body such as the bile, sweat, saliva and urine. If your liver does not break them down they will stay in the fatty parts of your body, which is not a good situation for your immune system or your metabolism. Toxic chemical overload can lead to weight gain and this is why a 2 week detox can promote weight loss as well as better energy levels.
So what can we do to reduce our body’s chemical load?
Here are the principles of the program:
Take the Dr Cabot Cleanse powders daily in water, vegetable juice or a dairy free smoothie.
Drink at least 2 litres of water daily – you can add the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon for extra benefit.
Eat the following:
- Fruits and vegetables – Eat a wide variety of different fruits and vegetables, both raw and cooked. Use garlic, onion, herbs, spices and olive oil to flavour and cook your vegetables. Purchase organic produce where possible.
- Lean proteins – Chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, organic tofu and tempeh. Red meat is to be avoided for the 15 days.
- Raw nuts and seeds – You can choose any seeds (pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, ground flaxseeds) and any raw nuts
- Milks – Unsweetened dairy-free milks such as coconut, almond, macadamia are preferred. Dairy is to be avoided for the 15 days.
- Salad dressing ingredients – You may use cold pressed olive oil or macadamia oil, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, fresh lemon or lime and fresh or dried herbs. Commercial salad dressings usually contain sugar, poor quality vegetable oils and emulsifiers.
- Drink raw juice as often as you can – The best ingredients to juice are parsley, basil, mint, carrot, cabbage, beet, green apple, lemon, orange and ginger. You can also add a cruciferous vegetable to the juice such as kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts or cauliflower.
You may want to do this detox diet several times during a year to keep your total body toxin load at acceptable levels. A Maintenance Plan is also available for you to maintain good health all year through.