Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body. Approximately 99% of the calcium in the body is found in bones and teeth, while the other 1% is found in blood and soft tissue. The main function of calcium in your body is to provide structure and strength to your bones and teeth. In the blood, calcium helps to regulate blood pressure, muscle contractions and nerve function.

Calcium can be a difficult mineral to absorb. Vitamin D is essential for the efficient absorption and utilisation of calcium in the body. It helps to get calcium where it’s needed in your body, particularly your bones. If you have insufficient levels of vitamin D in your blood, you will not be receiving the full benefits from your calcium supplement.

The type of calcium in a nutritional supplement also determines how well your body will absorb it. Calcium carbonate is an inexpensive form of calcium, yet it is usually poorly absorbed, therefore not recommended. Calcium citrate and calcium hydroxyapatite are much better absorbed in most individuals. A good calcium supplement should also contain other supportive nutrients for a healthy skeleton, including boron, magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc and vitamin K.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email