This is the time of year when most of us pay more attention to our diet and our weight. Warmer weather and lighter clothing inspire most people to try and follow a healthier lifestyle.
If you want to lose weight and improve your energy, we recommend you base your diet on vegetables, protein and good fats. The average person eats far more carbohydrate rich foods than their body requires. This can make weight loss almost impossible, plus it can lead to digestive problems, fatigue, poor sleep, elevated cholesterol and blood sugar and a range of other health problems.
The eating plan in the book I Cant Lose Weight and I Don’t Know Why outlines the lower carbohydrate, higher protein eating plan we recommend.
What do we mean by carbohydrate?
Basically sugar, flour, grains, cereals and starches are all high in carbohydrate and need to be reduced or eliminated if you are seeking to lose weight.
What do we mean by protein?
Good sources of protein include red meat (preferably grass fed), poultry, seafood (preferably not farmed), eggs (preferably free range) and whey protein powder. Nuts, seeds, legumes and dairy products also provide some protein.
What do we mean by good fats?
This means fats in their natural state that are not excessively high in omega 6 fatty acids, which tend to be pro-inflammatory. Healthy options include cold pressed olive oil, macadamia nut oil, avocado oil, oily fish, avocados, raw nuts and seeds, organic coconut oil, grass fed butter or ghee and animal fat from grass fed animals, such as duck fat, lard, tallow and suet.
Animal fats are often frowned upon by dieticians because they are “full of saturated fat”. Firstly, saturated fats are very necessary in a healthy diet, and they offer you many benefits. Secondly, most animal fats are not full of saturated fat at all. Take duck fat for example; it contains approximately 28 percent saturated fat; the rest is monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat.
Cottonseed oil is comprised of roughly 26 percent saturated fat. An increasing number of restaurants and cafes are boasting about cooking their food in “heart healthy cottonseed oil”. There is nothing at all healthy about cottonseed oil. It is a rancid, oxidised, damaged fat that creates an enormous amount of free radical damage in your body. Heating cottonseed oil damages the fat even further and makes it even more harmful to your body.
In contrast, duck fat is an entirely natural, minimally processed food that has a very high smoke point and it perfect for cooking. Try making sweet potato chips with it! You can easily render your own duck fat at home, after roasting a duck in the oven. You would be horrified to see the factory processes involved in producing cottonseed oil.
We have designed a healthy food pyramid to help you achieve the following goals:
- Good health and longevity
- Healthy digestive function
- Weight control
Well, you can see we are realistic as we have included chocolate at the very top!
A protein powder smoothie is a delicious and filling meal or snack that can help make it easier to stick to a healthy diet.
Synd-X protein powder contains a very high amount of protein and has added chromium to help reduce cravings and it is ideal for those who carry excess weight around their abdomen. Synd-X powder also contains taurine and glutamine to support healthy liver and bowel function. Your brain can use glutamine as a source of energy instead of using sugar and this helps to resist cravings. Synd-X Powder has negligible carbohydrates as it is sweetened with the herb stevia.
Other tips for successful weight loss
- Keeping up the fibre in your diet. Well if you follow our food pyramid you will get most of your fibre from vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds and lentils. Fibre is super important to control cholesterol levels and to prevent constipation and it also reduces the incidence of bowel cancer. FibreTone is a gluten free fibre and can really get your bowels going if you use it regularly. FibreTone also contains the liver herbs dandelion and St Mary’s Thistle.
- Learn to meditate effectively and try to do it regularly. If you cannot manage every day, just do what you can, maybe every second day or even once a week. It is important to learn the correct techniques to meditate and when you are shown these techniques you can focus and still your mind. This will make you feel peaceful and satisfied, so that you do not need sugar to be your happy drug. Sugar is a drug and is just as addictive as nicotine, alcohol or gambling. Some people I know have called sugar “white death”
- Grow your self esteem and then you will see that your body is a temple and deserves respect. You need to feel good about yourself even before you try to lose weight and then you have a higher chance of success