Want to lose weight and keep it off long term?
Are you one of the millions of people who have tried counting lettuce leaves, starving yourself, putting in ridiculous hours at the gym and even avoiding social events because you are on a diet and trying to lose weight? While you may find some small success, you will also know that these kinds of things seldom work for any length of time and you find yourself staring down at the scary numbers on the scale yet again . . . wondering what to do, how to find lasting success.
Many people find it impossible to lose weight. They try low fat and/or low calorie diets and make themselves feel deprived, but have no success. Why is that? Because they have Syndrome X!
Syndrome X is a chemical imbalance that makes your body store fat. It is associated with insulin resistance and high insulin levels, is the most common reason overweight people cannot lose weight, and yet it is often not recognised!
Syndrome X can cause the following –
- Convert dietary carbohydrate into body fat
- Fluid retention and puffiness
- Suppress your body’s production of fat-burning hormones (glucagon & growth hormone)
- Hunger and cravings for carbs and sugar
- Weight gain in the abdominal area
- Hormonal problems and infertility
- Erectile dysfunction in men
- Increased risk of Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Increased risk of heart attacks and strokes
- Fatty liver and sluggish metabolism
To reduce Syndrome X and redirect your metabolism from fat storing into fat burning, we recommend:
- Synd – X Slimming Protein Powder
- Low carbohydrate, high protein snack bars
- Nature Sweet Sugar Substitute
- Stevia natural sweetener
- Bitter melon, gymnema, selenium, chromium, lipoic acid, carnitine, magnesium, manganese, zinc – these are available combined together in some supplements
The Synd X eating plan is designed to lower insulin and is extremely effective for weight loss.
This eating plan is healthy for your liver and burns fat. It becomes a way of life and makes weight loss much easier because for the first time you are finally treating the cause!
How common is Syndrome X?
It affects approximately 30% of Australians aged over 25 years and 40% of Australians over 40 years of age. Syndrome X is sometimes called “middle aged spread” because it predominantly affects middle aged men and women after menopause. However, Syndrome X is becoming increasingly common in younger people, especially young women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
Synd X Powder
Delicious and easy to use!
- Highly successful weight loss formula
- Naturally sweetened with stevia
- Extremely high protein, low carbohydrate formula
- Reduces cravings for carbohydrates
- Can be used to increase muscle mass and reduce body fat in body builders and athletes
- Aspartame free
- No added sugar, gluten or yeast
How does your protein powder compare to Synd X?
|per 20g serve||per 20g serve||per 20g serve|
|1.1 g||<1 g||16.2 g (>80%)|
Use as a meal replacement shake or a snack or in cooking. Synd X Slimming Protein Powder can also be sprinkled over cereal and yoghurt to add protein and natural sweetness.
STAGE ONE = 6 weeks of very low carbohydrate intake
During this stage, choose snacks and foods that are lower in carbohydrate and higher in protein.
- You will NOT be able to eat any of the following – Bread, pasta, rice, noodles, cakes, biscuits, crackers, muffins, lollies, chocolate, desserts or starchy vegetables (potatoes, pumpkin, parsnip, swede) during these 6 weeks.
- You will be more successful if you choose low carbohydrate vegetables and low carbohydrate green leafy salads, accompanied by pure protein such as eggs, poultry, seafood and lean fresh meat.
- You can have legumes but be aware that although they have a low GI, they contain significant amounts of carbohydrate. Thus you may eat legumes in moderation during this stage.
- You can have two serves of fresh fruits daily, but avoid the fruits high in sugar such as bananas, mango, pears, pineapple and papaya.
During stage one, your rate of weight loss will vary, according to –
- The state of your liver
- How overweight you are
- The degree with which you suffer Syndrome X
STAGE TWO = 6 weeks of low carbohydrate intake
During these six weeks, choose snacks and recipes which are slightly higher in carbohydrate, yet still high in protein.
- You are allowed to have one slice of bread daily and one serving of starchy vegetables daily.
- You can have two to three serves of fresh fruit daily, but avoid papaya, pineapple, mangoes, and bananas.
- You can replace the one slice of bread with pasta, or a grain such as brown rice if desired.
- You should avoid desserts.
STAGE THREE = Maintenance Eating Plan
You can begin the maintenance program once you have reached your desired weight, or if you do not want to continue with Stage Two after six weeks.
- Stage Three provides approx. 40-45% of daily calories from carbohydrate.
- You can choose snacks and recipes which are slightly higher in carbohydrate, yet still high in protein.
- You are allowed to have two slices of bread daily and one serve of starchy vegetables daily, or one slice of bread and two serves of starchy vegetables daily. You can replace the two slices of bread with pasta or noodles, or more starchy vegetables or a grain such as brown rice if desired.
- You can have two to three serves of any fresh fruit daily.
- You may have two to three desserts per week.
We have prepared a handy shopping list to help make your weight loss journey a little easier and stress free!
- All seafood
- Poultry (skin off) – chicken, duck, quail, turkey etc.
- Lean red meat (fat trimmed off) – lamb, beef, veal etc.
- Eggs (Free-range)
- Vegetable protein (used in meat substitutes suitable for vegetarians) – tofu, tempeh, etc.
- Cold pressed oils for cooking or salad dressings – such as olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, macadamia nut oil, rice bran oil (rice bran oil is suitable for use at high temperatures eg. oven baking)
- Nuts (raw) eg. almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts etc.
- Seeds (raw) eg. sunflower seed, pepitas, sesame etc.
- Legumes eg.chickpeas, beans, lentils etc.
- Protein powder for smoothies
- Berries – raspberries, strawberries, blueberries etc.
- Lemons – have ½ lemon in water each morning
- Yoghurt -Traditional Greek style or Jalna
- Guilt-free protein snack bars
- All vegetables (especially green leafy vegetables)
- Fresh herbs and spices such as garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, basil, mint, parsley, fennel and chives etc.
- Australia’s Own (malt-free) soy milk
- Unprocessed cheese; fetta, ricotta, bocconcini, goats, romano and parmesan cheeses
- Stevia or Xylitol (natural low-carb sweeteners), Nature Sweet Sugar Substitute
- Dips – avocado, hummus, eggplant, spicy capsicum etc. (dip should have less than 2g carbohydrates per serve)
- ½ – 1 serve of Cabot Health Guilt Free low carb snack bar
- A handful of nuts and/or seeds with a piece of fruit
- Hummus/tahini/guacamole with vegetable sticks
- Freshly cut apple segments spread with natural nut butter
- Cottage cheese sprinkled with crushed walnuts
- Celery sticks filled with ricotta cheese or natural nut butter
- 50g of unprocessed cheese with celery, capsicum or carrot
We recommend that you make smoothies from any of the following – water, diluted coconut, unsweetened soy milk, low fat milk or almond milk. Check that the milk you are using does not contain added sugar.
Use unsweetened plain acidophilus yoghurt (dairy or soy). Add fresh or frozen berries to the smoothie for their high content of antioxidants. Berries of all kinds contain organic acids, which assist in fat burning.
To increase Omega 3 fatty acids – add 1 tablespoon cold pressed flaxseed oil. To add fibre – add 1 tablespoon psyllium husks or Fibretone powder. Add liquid to blender first, and cut fruit into small chunks.
For a thicker, colder smoothie – freeze some of the fruit before blending.
When we finally set the date for our wedding we knew that we had a lot of things to get organised and, of course, wanted everything to be perfect. I found the wedding dress I had always dreamed of, yet when I put it on and stood in front of the mirror for the first time, I realised that I didn’t look quite like I had imagined – I needed to lose some weight!
My future husband also had a bit of a shock when it was time to organise his wedding suit – somehow he had crept up a couple of sizes as well.
We both decided to try Dr Cabot’s 12 Week Syndrome X Eating Plan and incorporated Synd X Protein Shakes into our diet. We changed our menu to low carbohydrate, high protein meals and literally watched the weight drop off. By the time our wedding day had arrived we lost over 45kgs between the two of us. I had to reorder my dress because I had gone from a size 14 to a size 8.
What a great way to start our married life – happy and healthy – thanks Dr. Cabot!
Jess & Scott Sydney 2009
Salad vegetables and green vegetables are free foods, and you may eat as much of these as you like.
Speed Things Up
Spicy foods can boost a sluggish metabolism. Research has shown that spicy food and culinary herbs (such as basil, coriander, oregano etc.) are able to speed up the metabolic rate, which is useful for those who are metabolically resistant and don’t burn fat easily.
Acidic substances such as apple cider vinegar and lemon juice have a beneficial effect upon the metabolism. They may also help the digestive process when they are consumed with a meal. Digestive Enzyme capsules will increase digestion of carbohydrate, protein and fat.