Herb battered root vegetable fries
For a pleasingly offbeat side dish or snack, try this healthy and delicious variation of that old favourite, french fries.
- 1kg assorted root vegetables (such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and celery root)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon each finely minced sage, oregano, rosemary, and thyme
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel and slice the root vegetables into “fries.”
- Transfer the vegetable fries to a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil the fries for 5 to 7 minutes, until just cooked through but not soft. (Watch carefully so as not to overcook.) Drain the water.
- Add the coconut oil, sea salt, garlic, and herbs to the fries and stir briefly.
- Cover the pot and shake vigorously until the fries are well mixed with their edges slightly mashed.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Arrange the fries on the tray so none are overlapping.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Remove when the edges turn golden and crispy.